Thursday, May 18, 2017

October 2012: Washington DC--Part V

Verdigris

National Archives and National Portrait Gallery

As I said in the earlier post about this trip, we were on a research mission to learn as much as we could about the Revolutionary War and the Constitutional Convention.  We were researching for a play called "First Freedom".  Because of creative differences with the playwright, we ended up not doing that show.  Our research was not wasted, however because we did "She Stoops to Conquer" which is set in nearly the same time period as the other play.

For the last day of the research trip, we visited the National Archives and the National Portrait Gallery for the first part of the day, then we hurried to the airport and flew home.  I was the costume designer on the trip and so the visit to the National Portrait Gallery was very valuable to me.  We got up early and headed to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence, a copy of the Magna Carta, the Constitution and Bill of Rights and many other documents.  Because of the type of ink and the age of the documents, these articles are very delicate and are kept under special glass.  The National Archives are very dark inside with only a very soft glowing light illuminating the manuscripts.  Photography is not allowed inside the National Archives.

We arrived early because this is one of the hottest tickets in DC.  We were at the front of the line, though and got in right away when the building opened.  We did not see Nicholas Cage at the National Archives, so we were pretty sure all security was working correctly.  While we were waiting outside the Archives, I happened to notice a Green Man in the bark of a tree.  Serendipity!

After the Archives, we walked around and saw the Navy Memorial and there was something going on, so we observed it for a little while.  Then we went to the National Portrait Gallery.  I took a ton of pictures, even some I wasn't supposed to.  There was a section of loaned portraits that were off limits to photographers and I didn't know it.  I snapped a few photos and a very nice troll came to me and said it was forbidden, so I deleted the evidence of my indiscretion and went on my way.  I will only post a few of the many photos I took at the National Portrait Gallery, though because, well, you know.

After that, we boarded our plane and flew straight to Salt Lake City and then to Idaho Falls, Idaho.  It was a great trip and I'd like to take my family back there some day.  To the photos, Concord!

Verdigris was everywhere

and awesome

Here too

Heroic sculpture, with an Art Deco feel

Another angle since it was so cool

Corinthian building
 
Cool light

Me in the picture for scale

Loved the detailing

Every inch was important

Light and shadow were also important

Greek fretwork

Inside the colonade 

Who doesn't need a verdigris ram's head?

The Green Man outside the National Archives

Greek influence was everywhere

Something going on at the Navy Memorial

This plaque honored the Merchant Seamen.  My Dad was a navy gunner on a refitted merchant ship that delivered ordinance to the 7th Fleet during WWII

I didn't want to interrupt, but there were some navy suits there

Finial

Some dude in the National Portrait Gallery

And a lady

I have something in common with this guy, flesh colored hair

Epic hood

Nice lady

The tower at Ronald Reagan International Airport.  The most uncomfortable airport I've ever been in.  Very few amenities.  They want you in and out.

There's a five sided building!  They have everything in Washington DC

Tarmac

It was a nice cloudy day

I love the window seat in an airplane

These were cool clouds

How did a picture of the Hot Chick's cotton balls get in this batch?

Nuclear explosions under the clouds

Somewhere over Colorado or Wyoming I think

This was a cool feature on my Delta flight.  It was a tracker that allowed me to see exactly where we were at all times.  What it really made me do was ask over and over again, "Are we there yet?"

It was a good several days in Washington DC.  I'm glad we went.  I loved doing primary research, and what we discovered helped us mount the show.  I'd love to do another research trip.  Heck, I just love going on trips.


No comments:

Post a Comment